Implemented a customized management system to better scope, control and plan operations to ensure business continuity.
Toyota's products are imported and distributed in the UK by Inchcape, one of Toyota's best logistics operations worldwide. The sales firm is responsible for Toyota and Lexus in the UK market, employing approximately 200 people with annual sales revenue of $500 million.
In order to ensure its fiscal health and business continuity, Toyota decided to implement SAP R/3 for both its Logistics and Finance business functions. The date for launch was fixed, driven by the need to replace the existing mainframe-based system. Implementation of the ERP system required significant change to important business processes, systems and the existing technology infrastructure. In addition, business processes required prioritization, controls and structured communication to manage stakeholder expectations.
Other key challenges included:
- A successful launch to avoid potentially bringing its own business operations, as well as related dealer businesses, to a standstill
- A flawless, on-time, new system launch with all the risks managed effectively
The Pcubed Solution
Pcubed's program management methodology broke down the Toyota implementation program into key delivery areas. Our approach concentrated on scoping, project control, plan definition and implementation. Pcubed defined the overall target timing, risks, work breakdown structure and project organization in the scoping process. Then delivered a control and issue management process, including PM tools and customized reporting, which required the education and training of key personnel. In addition:
- A project management support office was established to develop integrated work plans and schedules
- The office managed eight separate work streams, which required simultaneous project management and communication of the program
Key elements of the solution included:
- On-time implementation of the Toyota's SAP R/3 system
- Dealer, supplier and management expectations were effectively managed and met
- The SAP solution supported the key business processes, delivered in line with the anticipated business value and needs that were driven by Toyota customer priorities
- Business value was optimized since important business processes were prioritized by required changes in both business practice and supporting SAP functionality
- Program and project communication was structured effectively so that critical project information could be shared across the project teams covering business, IT and supplier requirements