GETRAG is one of the largest system suppliers for transmissions worldwide with approximately 13,250 employees at 23 locations. The company is headquartered in Untergruppenbach, Germany. The company develops and manufactures transmission solutions for the automotive industry. The transmission portfolio comprises manual, automated manual and dual clutch transmissions. GETRAG also offers a range of hybridization and electrification of transmissions. In 2013, GETRAG reached a turnover of 3.2 billion Euros.
GETRAG called on Pcubed to develop a custom project method and install the necessary management support to re-start their strategic initiative to develop and launch a new global Intranet, replacing legacy systems across all joint ventures.
- GETRAG is working on launching one global Intranet.
- Challenges included working within a lean budget and winning essential stakeholders within the company.
- There was agreement that a single source of information for all employees and global collaboration were required benefits, but how to proceed with the re-start was to be defined.
- To realise the benefits, the project had to be initiated without further delay and there was a limited number of project management resources available in-house.
The Pcubed Solution
Pcubed was commissioned to develop a tailored approach and strong governance, to determine scope, technical solution and cost estimation, to create aligned project charter and schedule.
Due to the success of the pre-project, the engagement was extended to support initiation and delivery.
- Pcubed co-moderated the discovery process and risk assessment, facilitated workshops, elicited detailed requirements through business analysis and developed product descriptions
- A convincing vision and step-by-step delivery approach were established to engage stakeholders and suppliers
- Total cost of ownership was communicated transparently to request additional budget and resources
- Accurately identified emerging challenges and established possible solutions
- For alignment on technical concept and suppliers, Pcubed provided support on:
- Creating risk awareness; highlighting cost effects and budget constraints caused by potential delays.
- Data gathering to optimise supplier set-up and systems evaluation with end-to-end user acceptance survey and cost calculations
- Defining the roadmap for a three-year programme of implementation and change
- Emphasising the importance of operationalization, and initiating concepts and processes
- Leveraged existing capabilities through coaching and created detailed blueprint for the next phase, with lessons learned and potential risks and challenges
The Business Benefits
Despite challenges, the annual business objectives were achieved.
- Clear definition of the strategic initiative resulted in winning buy-in from the board-level steering team and sponsor support
- The business case initiated involvement of joint ventures and convinced the management board to approve the starting budget for systems acquisition and deployment
- Pcubed helped highlight issues and risks, and provided best practice advice on managing the challenges
- Kept momentum on initiating the project and covered additional interim management tasks whilst the in-house project manager was on leave
- Established three-year implementation plan with detailed first year, and roles and responsibilities
- Stronger in-house capability to deliver the entire programme and to enable the vision of launching a global Intranet