This leading MNO is one of the UK's largest communications companies, providing mobile and fixed-broadband communications services to more than 27 million customers through multiple brands.
The company sought to reduce its operating costs by 30% or more. It entered into a contract with an outsource partner to achieve these cost savings without any derogation to customer services during a time of aggressive business expansion. With the cost savings agreed up-front the company and its outsource partner agreed a joint programme to effect the necessary transformations within the IT landscape. There were significant penalties tied to the contract to ensure that both parties transformed as agreed. This programme affected every part of the company's business as the entire landscape was being transformed.
- Reduction in the total number of servers in the estate, from 5,000 to 3,000
- Of the remaining 3000 servers, 40% cloud, 30% standardised, 30% on classic environments
- Reduction in number of Data Centres from nine to two
- Upgraded Network
- New Service Desks/ Help Desks and supporting tools/processes (off shoring)
- Increased operational stability through improved technical resiliency; increased service desk response time; increased user request turnaround
- Reduction in out-dated legacy technical infrastructure
- Reduced management costs through use of virtualisation technologies reducing the total technology footprint on the organisation
- Complete new end-user experience with new hardware, operating systems and upgraded email facilities
- 36% cost savings annually
The Pcubed Solution
Pcubed set out and executed the IT strategy for the programme enabling both parties to meet their contractual obligations. Pcubed was selected to set up the governance for the programme with the outsource partner. Pcubed provided this MNO client side programme management through a programme management office as well as the senior project managers for all the major work streams within the programme. Each senior position was mirrored within the outsource partner's organisation to ensure that the transformation and transition steps were agreed and actioned together at every stage.
Pcubed drove a one team, one programme approach so that all parties engaged took responsibility for the effort and final outcomes. Shared success was key to ensuring that issues were resolved in a timely win/win fashion.