Case Study : US Financial Services Co. IT PMO Process and Tools Solution
- Business Challenge- Establish PMO capability to address lack of visibility into the IT portfolio, as well as immature project prioritization and approval process.
- Solution- Pcubed consultants created a strategy for a repeatable process of approving, capturing, prioritising and managing projects within the portfolio.
- Benefits- Business unit managers now utilize project ranking criteria and pipeline reviews along with the new toolset to provide portfolio and resource visibility with a capacity vs. demand view of all projects.
Implement and manage an effective Program Management Office and its targeted functions.
Pcubed PMO Setup and Delivery is the implementation and operation of a Program Management Office (PMO) capability to provide visibility and insight into critical business programs, enabling effective decisions and control. A PMO can be rapidly established to drive operational program, project, and portfolio management at an enterprise, business unit, or departmental level - or setup to focus on more effective management of a single program. A high-performing PMO plays a critical part in driving successful program and project delivery across an organization, ensuring the required level of planning, control and delivery assurance are in place.
An effective PMO is a key enabler to program success. Improved visibility and insight into program and project performance enables executives to more effectively control results. An effective PMO helps organizations:
- Increase confidence in planning- A well defined baseline plan underpinned by an appropriate level of detailed planning gives confidence that program goals are achievable.
- Increase confidence in status- Clear and consistent reporting across each project / program and portfolio of work, underpinned by reliable data supports effective program leadership.
- Control Changes- Ability to effectively understand and manage changes to ensure deviations are based on a clear understanding of impacts.
- Manage continuous improvement- Use of program data to understand performance issues and strengths to help focus efforts on improving delivery capability.
Pcubed PMO Setup and Delivery implements a new organizational and team capability, either as a new centre of excellence or through redefining the operation and capability of an existing organization or team. There are five core phases to creating a PMO:
- PMO Definition- Identify the organization's business goals and objectives and project and program management support. Identify and define the necessary functions, roles, controls and desired maturity level.
- PMO Roadmap Development- Establish a path that best fits the organization's values, capacity and ability to implement controls. This will cover people, process and tools.
- Implementation- Deploy appropriate people, processes, and tools to achieve short-term PMO roll out objectives and attain initial control of programs and projects.
- Transitioning to Delivery- Pcubed consultants lead PMO operations to meet organizational demands and support portfolio, program and project success.
- Consolidation- Drive PMO evolution through the PM Maturity Roadmap towards desired maturity state; working towards steady state operation.
- Steady State Operations- Deliver ongoing PMO functions. Manage continuous PMO and program management improvements. Drive continuing evolution towards desired maturity level.
|PM Maturity Roadmap : Program Management Office|
Initial / Ad Hoc
Planned / Repeatable
Defined / Organized
Integrated / Managed
Optimized / Sustained
Typical PMO Evaluation
|No effective PMO model, often due to past failure(s) with a Project Office or PMO||Project Office that focuses mainly on strategic projects and/or best practices||PMOs provide effective mentoring, training, and oversight for project managers and teams.||An Enterprise PMO provides proactive support of programs and related projects.||Enterprise PMO has evolved to a true Decision Support Office for Executives.|
Pcubed's proven implementation approach focuses on the following:
- Quick and efficient implementation to put a PMO structure in place.
- Effective control focused initially on the most critical delivery issues.
- Objective PMO capability that brings delivery assurance across programs and projects.
- Integration of the PMO solution across the organization to optimize impact to program and project delivery.
Pcubed understands the challenging nature of organizational program and project management and has a track record helping its clients deliver their most critical and complex programs. This enables successful PMO implementations within the context of any organization.